Human Resources

David DiCosola: Already A Major Leaguer

August 01, 2005
David DiCosola: Already A Major Leaguer August 1, 2005 Who: David DiCosola What: President/CEO Where: First Miami University Student & Alumni FCU How I learned about CUs: Through an internship program offered at Miami University of Ohio. There were various fliers around campus and I thought working at the credit... READ MORE

Future Forum Offers Customized Breakout Sessions

August 01, 2005
Future Forum Offers Customized Breakout Sessions August 1, 2005 Attendees of the 2005 CUNA Future Forum (Sept. 24-27 in San Francisco) can choose which breakout sessions to attend according to their particular interests or individual learning objectives. Sessions have been grouped into seven customized learning track options: Sales/marketing; Leadership/executive; Security/risk... READ MORE

Sandy Lingerfelt: No Time To Loaf Around

July 01, 2005
Sandy Lingerfelt: No Time To Loaf Around July 1, 2005 WHO: Sandy Lingerfelt WHAT: President/CEO WHERE: Clinchfield FCU, Erwin, Tenn. Why I'm involved beyond my credit union: I believe that what we do is so important to our members that we should do everything in our power to ensure that... READ MORE

What's Your Leadership Philosophy?

July 01, 2005
What's Your Leadership Philosophy? July 1, 2005 Set High Standards We make it a point to set obstacles and very high standards of what we expect from the people who work here. We also believe when people work hard and produce results, they should be rewarded both financially and otherwise.... READ MORE

Does Your CU Stink? Look At Your Training

June 01, 2005
Does Your CU Stink? Look At Your Training June 1, 2005 By Dan Garrison Something stinks around here and it's making me nauseous. Turns out I'm not the only one: staff is feeling sick, managers are feeling sick, and the board is feeling sick. Worst of all, our members are... READ MORE

Mary Madden: A High-Energy Leader

June 01, 2005
Mary Madden: A High-Energy Leader June 1, 2005 Who: Mary Madden What: President/CEO Where: Hudson Valley FCU, Poughkeepsie, N.Y. What did you want to be when you grew up? That depends on what age I was. Early on, I wanted to be an environmental conservationist or park ranger. Then my... READ MORE

Kirk Kordeleski: A Hard-Working Art Collector

May 01, 2005
Kirk Kordeleski: A Hard-Working Art Collector May 1, 2005 Who: Kirk Kordeleski What: President/CEO Where: Bethpage (N.Y.) FCU My first job: I was 14 years old and worked as a busboy at a local restaurant. I learned that hard work mattered and that unless you followed through on your education... READ MORE

Supercharge Innovation At Your CU

April 01, 2005
Supercharge Innovation At Your CU April 1, 2005 Employees are your top differentiator in today's economy, according to John Sweeney, author of 'Innovation at the Speed of Laughter: 8 Secrets to World Class Idea Generation.' "Turning on and nurturing a self-perpetuating cycle of new, creative, and ultimately profitable ideas is... READ MORE

Performance Measurement Tools Make Appraisals Meaningful

February 01, 2005
Performance Measurement Tools Make Appraisals Meaningful February 1, 2005 By Patrick Totty Narrative approach A more automated approach Some advice Human resource management providers At first glance, credit unions seem to have two incompatible choices when it comes to selecting systems for measuring employee performance. On one hand are application... READ MORE

Family, Health, Work Top CU CEOs' New Year's Resolutions

January 01, 2005
Family, Health, Work Top CU CEOs' New Year's Resolutions January 1, 2005 Kathleen Romane, Lacamas Community CU Now that Kathleen Romane has her first year behind her as the new president/CEO at Lacamas Community Credit Union, Camas, Wash., she hopes to pursue other objectives. One is part professional, part personal.... READ MORE

heroes

What's Popular

Popular Stories

Recent Discussion

Great article! Unfortunately, most employees don’t feel valued or appreciated by their supervisors or employers. In fact, research has shown that the predominant reason team members quit their jobs is because they don’t feel valued. This is in spite of the fact that employee recognition programs have proliferated in the workplace – over 90% of all organizations in the U.S. has some form of employee recognition activities in place. But most employee recognition programs are viewed with skepticism and cynicism – because they aren’t viewed as being genuine in their communication of appreciation. Getting the “employee of the month” award, receiving a certificate of recognition, or a “Way to go, team!” email just don’t get the job done. How do you communicate authentic appreciation? We have found people have different ways that they want to be shown appreciation, and if you don’t communicate in the language of appreciation important to them, you essentially “miss the mark”. Additionally, employees need to receive recognition more than once a year at their performance review. Otherwise, they view the praise as “going through the motions”. A third component of authentic appreciation is that the communication has to be about them personally – not the department, not their group, but something they did. Finally, they have to believe that you mean what you say. How you treat them has to match the words you use. If you are not sure how your team members want to be shown appreciation, the Motivating By Appreciation Inventory (www.appreciationatwork.com/assess) will identify the language of appreciation and specific actions preferred by each employee. You then can create a group profile for your team, so everyone knows how to encourage one another. Remember, employees want to know that they are valued for what they contribute to the success of the organization. And communicating authentic appreciation in the ways they desire it can make the difference between keeping your quality team members or having a negative work environment that everyone wants to leave. Paul White, Ph.D., is the co-author of The 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace with Dr. Gary Chapman.

Your Say: Who should be Credit Union Magazine's 2014 CU Hero of the Year?

View Results Poll Archive