Management

Mica Reflects on 14 Years as CUNA CEO

February 18, 2010
Mica : Credit unions are poised for a massive growth spurt that could bring additional credibility and leverage on the political front. Late last summer, CUNA President/CEO Dan Mica announced his plans to step down from CUNA’s top position at the end of 2010. That will bring to a close... READ MORE

Small CU Profile: Nick Kessenich, Members First CU

February 05, 2010
In late 1981, Nick Kessenich took the reins of the former Sub-Zero Credit Union, Madison, Wis., after the untimely death of the institution’s president. He’d only joined the board in March of that year and wasn’t 100% sure he was up for the job. The board’s response to his reluctance:... READ MORE

Small CUs: Top Challenges Yesterday & Today

February 03, 2010
Ten years ago, the biggest challenge facing small CUs was the need to offer a wider range of services. Today, that concern isn’t on the radar for most small CUs, which make up 70% of the nation’s 8,000 credit unions. READ MORE

'Somebody Up There Likes Me'

January 27, 2010
Address immigrants’ basic educational needs and the loans will follow. The federal government has asked the Credit Union National Association (CUNA) to help with a study about financial literacy programs that result in non-English speaking immigrants opening accounts rather than relying on “fringe” banking. That request dovetailed with... READ MORE

Let Your Voice Be Heard

January 27, 2010
Urge lawmakers to keep CUs free from needless regulation. Later this month, the Credit Union National Association’s (CUNA) Governmental Affairs Conference (GAC) promises to be a pivotal event. More than 4,000 credit union faithful will arrive in town ready to voice several key messages to Congress, including:... READ MORE

LEEDing the Way

January 27, 2010
A ‘green’ builder who walks the talk. Who: Joni Walker What: Senior VP, Marketing, Missoula FCU Where: Missoula, Mont. How I got involved in my CU’s “green” branch project: I’ve been the “owner representative” of remodel/new construction projects for seven years. When it came time to design this particular branch,... READ MORE

Follow-Up Matters

January 27, 2010
Feeling uncertain about holding others accountable for their actions and results? It’s not unusual, says Jeff Rendel, president, Rising Above Enterprises, in his blog, “The Elite One Percent™.” Often it’s because:   You’ll offend someone or jeopardize a personal relationship. When you work with someone for 10 hours each day,... READ MORE

A World of Possibilities

January 27, 2010
CUs are essential allies in the global war on poverty. By Steve Rodgers I recently traveled with a colleague from the World Council of Credit Unions (WOCCU) to Kenya. While there, I witnessed the work of some remarkable people who have committed their professional lives to promoting credit union growth.... READ MORE

Top 10 Stories of 2009

January 15, 2010
Visitors to creditunionmagazine.com were most interested in regulations, corporate stabilization, and the recession during 2009. The most-read stories on creditunionmagazine.com during 2009 were: 10) Strange-But-True CU Crimes   Did you hear about the arrest police made in a 26-year-old credit union embezzlement case? Or about the member who deposited her... READ MORE

Spotlight: Joni Walker

January 14, 2010
Who: Joni Walker What: Senior vice president, marketing Where: Missoula FCU When it comes to going green, why go half way? That was Joni Walker’s approach when she took on the construction of a new green branch. “We decided to aim for the highest Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification:... READ MORE

What's Popular

Popular Stories

Recent Discussion

Your Say: Should CUs Impose Age Limits for Directors?

View Results Poll Archive