Compliance

Staying at the Table

August 25, 2009
John Magill Poorly prepared legislation can have unintended consequences. This is a time of unprecedented change in America’s financial services sector. Credit unions, despite wearing the “white hats” through the financial crisis of the past year, have not been—and will not be—completely insulated from the aftermath of the financial collapse.... READ MORE

Regulatory Onslaught Just Won't Let Up

July 20, 2009
Relentless torrent of new regulations creates concern and confusion. Bill Klewin The surge in regulatory compliance issues continues, especially in the lending area. Given what the nation is going through, triggered by shoddy lending practices, the greater regulatory regimen is appropriate. Regulators and legislators in Washington, D.C., however, are tripping... READ MORE

Regulatory Storm Intensifies

July 20, 2009
  Key concerns will continue to dominate the regulatory landscape. Mary Dunn Working in the Credit Union National Association’s (CUNA) Washington office lately has been like being in the vortex of a hurricane. The issues keep swirling as the regulatory storm intensifies. While CUNA follows virtually all issues affecting credit... READ MORE

Negotiate Letters of Understanding and Agreement

July 20, 2009
Due diligence applies to agreements with regulators, too. Christopher Pippett Typically you might think of due diligence review as applying only to vendor relationships. However, you also should thoroughly analyze the formal agreements you might have to enter into with the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) or your state regulator... READ MORE

Study Cites Top CU Challenges

July 20, 2009
LEAD STORY  Attracting new members, dealing with the economy, retaining current members, and adapting programs to new technology are the biggest challenges facing credit unions. So says a survey conducted by Credit Union 24, Tallahassee, Fla. It examines successes and competitive challenges credit unions currently face. The top challenges credit... READ MORE

Business Lending Cap Becomes Barrier to Growth

July 20, 2009
ALM, business cycles, and the 12.25% cap affect business loan programs. Jim Jerving The recession’s effects on the banking system are well-chronicled—a stranglehold on the credit supply and dangerously low capital levels for some of the nation’s largest banks. The trickle-down effect has frozen credit at smaller, local banks that... READ MORE

Compliance is Recession-Proof

July 20, 2009
By Kathy Thompson I was just reading an article about how cosmetics and alcohol sales increase during trying times. Apparently, increased demands on compliance programs can be another “leading economic indicator” that there are problems out there. I want to assure you that we’re working behind the scenes to try... READ MORE

Compliance Q&A: Trade Names in Advertising

July 20, 2009
By Valerie Moss Q Can a federal credit union use a trade name in advertising? For example, could it use “ABC Community” rather than its full charter name, “ABC Community Federal Credit Union?”         A Yes. Part 740.2 of the National Credit Union Administration’s regulations states that... READ MORE

Compliance Q&A: CTRs

June 29, 2009
By Valerie Moss Q Can a credit union adopt a policy to disallow cash deposits and withdrawals of more than $10,000 per day to reduce the burden of filing Currency Transaction Reports (CTRs)?   A Yes. The Bank Secrecy Act doesn't prohibit limiting the dollar amount of transactions a credit... READ MORE

Four critical regulatory issues

June 24, 2009
Mary Dunn: Topping the regulatory agenda are regulatory restructuring, top-level changes at NCUA, examination issues, and corporate CU issues. CUNA Deputy Counsel Mary Dunn outlined four critical regulatory issues for credit unions during a morning breakout session Wednesday: 1. Regulatory restructuring. The proposed Consumer Financial Protection Agency is a “glass... READ MORE

The Works Blog The Works Blog is produced by PolicyWorks LLC, Des Moines, Iowa.

CFPB Issues Proposed Prepaid Rule

On the 13th of November the CFPB issued the prepaid account proposal that we had been expecting for a quite a while.  I thought it might be helpful to provide a very high-level summary of the proposal, which I’ve included below.  If you’re particularly interested in this rule, and would like to read all 870 […]

#Mortgage Rescission: Lawsuit or Letter Required?

Earlier this month the U.S. Supreme Court agreed to weigh in on whether federal law requires borrowers to notify their lender in writing that they intend to rescind their mortgage or if the borrower must file a lawsuit making the claim, within a three year period. Now you may be thinking “Three YEARS!”  I thought […]

Another Year and Another Renewal for SAFE ACT

I figured I would get a good jump on the reminder for credit unions to renew registrations for your Mortgage Loan Originators (MLO) in order to comply with the requirements of the SAFE Act. With the holidays right around the corner , and year end for credit unions, I know it is a busy time for everyone. […]
More Stories

What's Popular

Popular Stories

Recent Discussion

Your Say: What's Your Expected Loan Growth in 2015?

View Results Poll Archive