Operations

Member Growth South of the Border

October 01, 2007
Member Growth South of the Border October 1, 2007 Slow membership growth isn't a problem just for U.S. credit unions. Susana Len, marketing manager for Caja Libertad, shares how the Quertaro, Mexico, credit union addresses this issue. What challenges does Caja Libertad face when acquiring new members? 1. Loss of... READ MORE

Take the Compliance Challenge

October 01, 2007
Take the Compliance Challenge October 1, 2007 By Valerie Moss Q Does the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) permit a servicemember to automatically suspend loan payments to the credit union without a court order? A No. A servicemember can't discontinue loan payments unilaterally without a court's authorization. If a servicemember... READ MORE

Members Go For Gift Cards

October 01, 2007
Members Go For Gift Cards October 1, 2007 By Cathy Fleming Gift cards might not be big money-makers for credit unions. But members like the convenience the cards provide, and credit union executives find value in adding the cards to their product lineup. Sarah Canepa Bang, CEO of Financial Service... READ MORE

CU Hero: Thompson Ministers to Members

October 01, 2007
CU Hero: Thompson Ministers to Members October 1, 2007 Like most heroes, Mendell Thompson doesn't see himself that way. Instead, the president/CEO of America's Christian Credit Union , Glendora, Calif., bestows that title on the many ministries his credit union serves that empower people to change their lives. "I manage... READ MORE

E-mail Spam Wars

September 01, 2007
E-mail Spam Wars September 1, 2007 By Ron Daly Here's the good news: The ongoing battle to fight spam is making real progress. Internet service providers (ISP) are using more sophisticated and improved spam filters to catch unwanted e-mails and online scams. And consumers are more vigilant in managing their... READ MORE

Seven Ways to Head Off Staff Performance Issues

September 01, 2007
Seven Ways to Head Off Staff Performance Issues September 1, 2007 You find them at nearly every place of employment—employees who exhibit "below standard" performance. At a credit union, it may be the salesperson with inconsistent numbers (dynamite one month, sluggish the next), or the assistant manager out with a... READ MORE

IT Compliance? But I'm a Credit Union!

September 01, 2007
IT Compliance? But I'm a Credit Union! September 1, 2007 By Greg Brinton A client of mine once likened the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) and the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) to a pair of Sumo wrestlers. Not wrestling each other mind you, but instead working in tandem... READ MORE

Member Service: Nice Isn't Enough

September 01, 2007
Member Service: Nice Isn't Enough September 1, 2007 By Lori Reeves Smile. Shake hands. Make eye contact. Call members by name. Ask if there's anything else you can help them with. Thank members for their business. These are standard measurements for quality service at many credit unions. These actions are... READ MORE

Serving the Underserved: Mobile Could Be Key

September 01, 2007
Serving the Underserved: Mobile Could Be Key September 1, 2007 By Roy W. Urrico Financial institutions should look to the 17.5 million people who are underbanked as a potential market in light of its size, demand for financial services, and demonstrated willingness to embrace mobile technology. So says a white... READ MORE

Spotlight: Catherine Tierney

September 01, 2007
Spotlight: Catherine Tierney September 1, 2007 Who: Catherine Tierney What: President/CEO Where: Community First CU , Appleton Wis. First job and lessons learned: At 16, I worked at Mr. Donut, a local franchise producing and selling doughnuts, cookies, and sandwiches. I learned: How to budget my time so I could... READ MORE

What's Popular

Popular Stories

Recent Discussion

Your Say: Does Your CU Offer Subprime Loans?

View Results Poll Archive