Compliance

Will HELOCs Survive Declining Home Values?

December 23, 2008
Michael McLain Reg Z permits creditors to change HELOC terms in some circumstances. With declining home values plus increasing foreclosures, unemployment, and bankruptcies, credit unions offering home equity lines of credit (HELOC) should understand how these situations affect their rights to modify HELOC terms and conditions. Take proper action to... READ MORE

Lean Times for CU Liens

December 23, 2008
Charles Williams In bankruptcy cases, ‘trustee-proof ’ your security interests. As an experienced loan officer at Curl Up and Dye Federal Credit Union, a midsize institution serving the cosmetics, hair-care, and grooming industries, you take pride in your vehicle lending programs. This morning, how-ever, you hold in shaking hands a letter... READ MORE

'Tis the Season Of Regulatory Concerns

November 17, 2008
Mary Dunn   The economy will affect CUs, but the extent is unknown .   How some credit unions in certain parts of the country, as well as the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), can brace themselves against the economic storm is an important issue for the credit union system. ... READ MORE

Beyond Order-Taking

November 17, 2008
Does your credit union want a successful call center that actively meets members’ needs?   It’s the simple things that make it work, say presenters at the 11th annual CUNA Operations, Sales & Service Council Conference in Williamsburg, Va.   Among their suggestions: Educate staff on how to approach each... READ MORE

Compliance Challenge: Party Planning

October 01, 2008
Compliance Challenge: Party Planning October 1, 2008 By Kathy Thompson Washington, D.C., is supposed to be a sleepy town in August, with all the politicians and their staff leaving—especially this year with all the partying in Denver and Minneapolis-St. Paul. But there's no partying for those of us in the... READ MORE

Compliance Q&A: FACT Act

October 01, 2008
Q Our credit union provides information to CUNA Mutual Group for use in marketing products and services to our members. Does this relationship trigger compliance with the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions (FACT) Act's affiliate marketing rule? READ MORE

Compliance Q&A: Electronic Disclosures

September 01, 2008
Compliance Q&A: Electronic Disclosures September 1, 2008 By Valerie Moss Q The Federal Reserve Board clarified the requirements for providing electronic consumer disclosures last fall. When is the mandatory compliance date for these changes, and how will they affect the way credit unions deliver electronic disclosures? A Last fall, the... READ MORE

Compliance Challenge: Regulatory Blockbusters

August 01, 2008
Compliance Challenge: Regulatory Blockbusters August 1, 2008 Over the July 4 weekend I saw both "Up the Yangtze" (a documentary) and "Ironman" (a genre I call "movies with big explosion budgets"). As I looked at everything I wanted to review with you this month, I thought "how would this play... READ MORE

Compliance Q&A: Security & Shredding

August 01, 2008
Compliance Q&A: Security & Shredding August 1, 2008 By Valerie Moss   Q Must a federally insured credit union notify the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) every time it identifies a possible security breach?   A No. NCUA's Part 748 (security program) and accompanying guidance (Appendix B) require credit unions... READ MORE

Compliance Challenge: Cancel Those Vacation Plans

July 01, 2008
Compliance Challenge: Cancel Those Vacation Plans July 1, 2008 By Kathy Thompson Forget summer vacation. There are just too many comment letters due in the next couple of months. We need your input—even if it's on the back of a postcard with a picture of the beach or written with... READ MORE

The Works Blog The Works Blog is produced by PolicyWorks LLC, Des Moines, Iowa.

New Compliance Resource from the NCUA

The NCUA has recently published a “Consumer Compliance Regulatory Resources” page, on their website. The page does not contain any new guidance from the NCUA at this point, but is more of a resource for finding links to additional resources from the FFIEC, CFPB, and of course the NCUA.   Areas which are currently listed on […]

NCUA’s Proposed Appraisal Rule: The Sequel

Last week, we discussed the NCUA’s proposed rulemaking related to appraisals. In today’s post, I’ll discuss parts two and three of that proposal. Part two of the proposed rule seeks to establish consistency between credit unions and other banking agencies as to when an appraisal is required in connection with a real estate related transaction. […]

NCUA’s Proposed Appraisal Rule: Part One

On June 26th, the National Credit Union Administration (“NCUA”) published a proposed rule in the Federal Register related to appraisals. In today’s post, I’ll discuss part one of the proposed rule. Next Tuesday, I’ll discuss parts two and three. Currently, under Section 701.31(c)(5) of the NCUA’s rules and regulations, Federal credit unions (“FCUs”) are required […]
More Stories

What's Popular

Popular Stories

Recent Discussion

Your Say: Should CUs Impose Age Limits for Directors?

View Results Poll Archive