Lending

A Blizzard of Regulatory Change

January 23, 2009
Bill Klewin Lending regulation is reaching a frenzied pace. As I look out my window, I brace for the snow, slippery conditions, and bad drivers I’ll face on my commute. That’s a great analogy for what credit unions face on the regulatory compliance front, especially for lending-related regulations. For years,... READ MORE

Hearth-Warming Loans Fuel Relationships

January 23, 2009
‘CU family can be found even in the most exotic places.’ Who: Cathy Bond What: President/CEO Where: Winslow (Maine) Community FCU Why we offer energy assistance loans: Maine winters can be financially difficult. When the cost of heating oil escalated midsummer 2008, we introduced the Energy Saver Loan to help... READ MORE

Smart Deals & Fair Dealing

January 21, 2009
Smart Deals & Fair Dealing Jennifer Garrett Caprock FCU turns employees into member advocates in the auto-buying process and sees a 138% increase in volume over three years. Most credit union employees and executives will tell you there’s more to a successful auto-lending program than volume. Dale Hansard, president/CEO of... READ MORE

CUs Survive Mortgage Mugging

December 23, 2008
Patrick Totty  Instead of taking blows, vendors say CUs’ mortgage outlook is rosy in certain areas. You might compare what’s happened to the mortgage market recently to being mugged. First, there’s a flurry of blows, followed by sitting down, taking stock: Should I get up or catch my breath? For... READ MORE

Pillars of the Community

December 23, 2008
Judy Dahl Award-winning community CUs serve all members, not just some. The key to community credit union success is “staying focused on why we’re here—to serve members. We have to be a sustaining resource to [members],” says Rick Hein, CEO of $540 million asset OSU Federal Credit Union, Corvallis, Ore.... READ MORE

Lending 2009: Find the Silver Lining

December 23, 2008
Lloyd Gill Be there for newly credit-impaired members. Sam, a member, called recently, very troubled. He was returning our call about his past-due loan. Never delinquent before, he faced a new experience. Many members, like Sam, for the first time are having trouble paying their loans. Previously having had excellent... READ MORE

Leading Edge Lenders

December 22, 2008
Karen Bankston CUNA Lending Council award winners turn economic drop into market share gains. The dramatic economic downturn of 2008 caught many by surprise, but  executives of credit unions honored with the 2008 Excellence in Lending Awards detected the first tremors in 2007 and earlier. They adjusted their lending processes... READ MORE

Reverse Mortgages Come of Age

December 22, 2008
Neil Bartlett Demand for reverse mortgages should increase as seniors face the future with rising expenses.The biggest risk of not providing reverse mortgages is that someone else will—and your credit union may lose senior members. Greg Seltzer, vice president of lending at $830 million asset Los Angeles Firemen’s Credit Union,... READ MORE

Three-Part Harmony

November 17, 2008
I often look to my daughter's life as a way to better understand the world around me. At age 15 and as a high-school freshman, she's very musically inclined. (She gets it from her mother.) Yet... READ MORE

Lessons Learned From Microfinance

August 01, 2008
Lessons Learned From Microfinance August 1, 2008 By Beth Stetenfeld Did you know: Forty percent to 60% of the world's population is unbanked; Twenty eight million people in the U.S. have no financial account relationship; and About 45 million people—19% of U.S. households—have account relationships but continue to use various... READ MORE

What's Popular

Popular Stories

Recent Discussion

Your Say: Have You Ever Suffered a Denial of Service Attack?

View Results Poll Archive