Lending

New Card Rules Spark Review

February 20, 2009
Michael McLain NCUA changes prohibit certain credit card practices for FCUs. The National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), Office of Thrift Supervision, and Federal Reserve Board issued final rules in December 2008 to better protect credit card users. The rules prohibit certain unfair and deceptive acts or practices, and improve consumer... READ MORE

Want to Help Members? Take a 'Clean Sheet' Approach

February 20, 2009
By Bill Vogeney The economic conditions credit unions are experiencing today are unprecedented. Unemployment is climbing. Interest rates are falling. Home values and construction starts are declining. Weak sales threaten every auto manufacturer in the world. This being the case, why would you think the same old approach to managing... READ MORE

Lender Liability Lawsuits on the Rise

February 20, 2009
By John Wallace Have you recently repossessed or foreclosed on any collateral? Have your delinquencies increased during the past 12 to 18 months? If so, these are signs your lender liability exposure has increased. Given today’s increasing foreclosures, repossessions and collections, lender liability lawsuits likely will continue to rise. In... READ MORE

Which Way Now?

February 18, 2009
Steve Rick Common sense and vision chart a course for success in 2009 and beyond. Is there a silver lining for credit unions in the economic gloom and doom of the day? Yes, for those that navigate carefully, according to Credit Union National Association (CUNA) economists, who examined the state... READ MORE

The Paperless Mortgage

January 23, 2009
Judy Dahl Eliminating paper saves time and money, helps the planet, and provides faster, better service to members. A thick sheaf of paper typically heralds each closed mortgage. It’s solid and real—but expensive, time-consuming, and environmentally harmful. That’s why mortgages at $4.8 billion asset BECU, Tukwila, Wash., now are paperless from... READ MORE

Real Estate Rx

January 23, 2009
Steve Rick Excess inventory will dampen home prices throughout 2009. Many people are asking what the economy will look like in the coming months. Because the major cause of the current recession was the housing bubble bursting, any economic recovery will depend on revitalizing the housing market. Let’s look at... READ MORE

A Blizzard of Regulatory Change

January 23, 2009
Bill Klewin Lending regulation is reaching a frenzied pace. As I look out my window, I brace for the snow, slippery conditions, and bad drivers I’ll face on my commute. That’s a great analogy for what credit unions face on the regulatory compliance front, especially for lending-related regulations. For years,... READ MORE

Hearth-Warming Loans Fuel Relationships

January 23, 2009
‘CU family can be found even in the most exotic places.’ Who: Cathy Bond What: President/CEO Where: Winslow (Maine) Community FCU Why we offer energy assistance loans: Maine winters can be financially difficult. When the cost of heating oil escalated midsummer 2008, we introduced the Energy Saver Loan to help... READ MORE

Smart Deals & Fair Dealing

January 21, 2009
Smart Deals & Fair Dealing Jennifer Garrett Caprock FCU turns employees into member advocates in the auto-buying process and sees a 138% increase in volume over three years. Most credit union employees and executives will tell you there’s more to a successful auto-lending program than volume. Dale Hansard, president/CEO of... READ MORE

CUs Survive Mortgage Mugging

December 23, 2008
Patrick Totty  Instead of taking blows, vendors say CUs’ mortgage outlook is rosy in certain areas. You might compare what’s happened to the mortgage market recently to being mugged. First, there’s a flurry of blows, followed by sitting down, taking stock: Should I get up or catch my breath? For... READ MORE

What's Popular

Popular Stories

Recent Discussion

Your Say: Does Your CU Offer Subprime Loans?

View Results Poll Archive