Lending

Show Me the Data: Boost Card Success With Information

August 27, 2009
By Brian Scott Every swipe of a credit card generates hundreds of lines of data. Everything from merchant information to purchase details to rate and finance statistics are captured and stored following each plastic transaction. Buried deep within this data are the answers to questions that can mystify even the... READ MORE

Compliance Q&A: Adverse Action Notices

August 27, 2009
By Valerie Moss Q Must a credit union provide an adverse action notice under Regulation B when it turns down a business loan application?   A Yes . Regulation B (Equal Credit Opportunity) applies to all credit—commercial as well as consumer loans. However, if two or more people have applied... READ MORE

Restructuring Troubled Debt

August 25, 2009
Can you spot the troubled debt restructuring in these scenarios? READ MORE

'Don't You Love a ... Controversy?'

July 20, 2009
I love a good controversy. This one comes courtesy of the quirky world of statistics, the American Bankers Association's perennial credit union basher/economist Keith Leggett. READ MORE

Taking Care of Business Members

July 20, 2009
Flexibility, communication, and a full suite of services deepen relationships with business members. Judy Dahl The more attentive you are to business members, the more likely they’ll be to stay with you and the more products and services they’ll use. You’ll also better understand their businesses. Both $600 million asset... READ MORE

A Four-Legged Approach to Growth

July 20, 2009
Build branches and products to compete during changing economic conditions. Jennifer Lehn Anniversaries are times of reflection. I recently celebrated my 20th anniversary with Numerica Credit Union, and I’ve reflected on how strategic decisions during my tenure have, for the most part, put us (and most credit unions) in a... READ MORE

Regulatory Onslaught Just Won't Let Up

July 20, 2009
Relentless torrent of new regulations creates concern and confusion. Bill Klewin The surge in regulatory compliance issues continues, especially in the lending area. Given what the nation is going through, triggered by shoddy lending practices, the greater regulatory regimen is appropriate. Regulators and legislators in Washington, D.C., however, are tripping... READ MORE

Business Lending Cap Becomes Barrier to Growth

July 20, 2009
ALM, business cycles, and the 12.25% cap affect business loan programs. Jim Jerving The recession’s effects on the banking system are well-chronicled—a stranglehold on the credit supply and dangerously low capital levels for some of the nation’s largest banks. The trickle-down effect has frozen credit at smaller, local banks that... READ MORE

Absolutely Business

July 20, 2009
Small-business owner Ryan Conklin conducts a service check-up for a Minot, N.D., customer. Conklin worked with Town & Country CU in Minot to obtain a business start-up loan for his new company, Absolute Comfort Inc., which serves commercial and residential customers’ heating and air conditioning needs. The Great Recession has... READ MORE

Business Lending Boosts Member Relationships

July 20, 2009
By Judy Dahl Mark Joyce : Remain open to all ideas and think creatively. Fostering close relationships with business members encourages them to do more business with the credit union—on the consumer side, too. “A few years ago, one of our larger [business] credit relationships was running into financial difficulty,”... READ MORE
Credit Union Magazine

Credit Union Magazine

October 2014

What's Popular

Popular Stories

Recent Discussion

Your Say: Have You Ever Suffered a Denial of Service Attack?

View Results Poll Archive