Technology

Chat It Up With Members

March 30, 2009
Judy Dahl Online, real-time text chat gives members another way to connect with your CU. When they want quick, accurate answers about their finances, text chat is the go-to channel for some members. To use it, a member simply types a question into a chat window on the credit union’s... READ MORE

'One Phish, Two Phish...'

March 30, 2009
James Collins Dr. Seuss would have a field day with phishers. It all began late on a Friday afternoon, when the first e-mail hit: “Dear Sirs: I recently received an e-mail from you, telling me that my home banking was disabled. I wish to thank you for sending me this... READ MORE

What Next for Card Fraud?

March 27, 2009
Dianne Molvig The cat-and-mouse game of card fraud has CUs and vendors scrambling. Fortunately, CUs can take steps to reduce fraud risk. In August 2008, the Justice Department indicted 11 people for allegedly stealing millions of consumers’ credit and debit card information from TJX, BJ’s Wholesale Club, OfficeMax, Boston Market,... READ MORE

Who Needs a 'Human' Interface?

January 23, 2009
James Collins If the site’s typography doesn’t look like a ransom note, you’re not trying. Personally, I find paying a professional to design a Web page a bunch of hooey. (Definition: something inherently useless. Synonym: Congress.) Fact is, information technology (IT) folks have developed Web pages for years. But a bunch... READ MORE

The Paperless Mortgage

January 23, 2009
Judy Dahl Eliminating paper saves time and money, helps the planet, and provides faster, better service to members. A thick sheaf of paper typically heralds each closed mortgage. It’s solid and real—but expensive, time-consuming, and environmentally harmful. That’s why mortgages at $4.8 billion asset BECU, Tukwila, Wash., now are paperless from... READ MORE

Member Service: Remote & Personal

January 23, 2009
Dianne Molvig   A remote sales force—a.k.a. relationship managers—can bring you closer to members. Time was, building relationships with members meant drawing them into your credit union to do business and then showing them what else you could do. The idea was to leverage branch traffic to generate more business.... READ MORE

Green Governance

January 22, 2009
Lucy Harr Virtual boardroom technology improves communication and decision making. It’s good for the environment, too. Ron Whitworth is a champion of any technology that can help his credit union achieve efficiencies and increase effectiveness. So when the State Department Federal Credit Union board member learned about a product that... READ MORE

On My Mind: Digital Evolution

December 23, 2008
Kathy Kuehn Whether print will survive is a moot point. People’s habits change. “To expect future generations to be satisfied with printed books is like expecting the BlackBerry® users of today to start communicating by writing letters, stuffing envelopes, and licking stamps.” That quote, by Jeff Gomez, author of the... READ MORE

Misery Builds Character

November 18, 2008
Walk into any credit union information technology (IT) manager's office and announce it's time to switch core systems. What do you think the response will be? READ MORE

The New CIO

November 17, 2008
Cathy Fleming   Today’s CIOs must be strong leaders as well as talented technologists .   The pace of technological change demands a unique combination of flexibility and forecasting by credit union chief information officers (CIO). The CIO’s role has become even more critical in executing strategies to increase membership,... READ MORE
Credit Union Magazine

Credit Union Magazine

October 2014

What's Popular

Popular Stories

Recent Discussion

Your Say: Does Your CU Offer Subprime Loans?

View Results Poll Archive