Robberies Decline During Second Quarter
CUs suffered 74 robberies during this period.
There were 1,023 financial institution robberies, burglaries, and larcenies during the second quarter of 2011, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) reports.
That’s down from 1,146 violations during the same quarter of 2010.
There were 1,007 robberies, 15 burglaries, and one larceny reported at financial institutions between April 1, 2011 and June 30, 2011, according to FBI statistics.
- Loot was taken in 91% of the incidents, totaling more than $7.8 million;
- About one-fourth (23%) of the loot taken was recovered and returned, totaling more than $1.8 million;
- These crimes occurred most often on Friday and, regardless of the day, most frequently between 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.;
- Acts of violence were committed in 4% of the incidents, resulting in 31 injuries, one death, and three persons taken hostage;
- Demand notes were the most common modus operandi used;
- Most violations occurred in the Southern region of the U.S., with 373 reported incidents.
View the report here.
Violations by Type of Institution
|Savings & Loans||20||2||0|
|Mutual savings banks||4||0||0|