Standing behind the "Unite for Good"
shared vision for the credit union movement means "we can achieve great things together," CUNA President/CEO Bill Cheney told THINK Conference
attendees this week in Chicago.
To achieve this vision—where all Americans choose credit unions as their best financial partner—credit unions must:
Remove barriers by actively participating in credit union grassroots activities and the political process.
Create awareness by expanding your credit union's outreach and image in the community.
Foster service excellence by offering a complete set of forward-looking and constantly improving financial services to members of all backgrounds and life stages.
Fostering service excellence might be the most difficult but the most important, Cheney says.
It's difficult because credit unions already deliver outstanding service, and surveys repeatedly support this. But consider these seven action steps:
1. Provide convenient locations.
2. Offer and promote reasonable fees and free checking.
3. Make easy online access and online banking services a priority.
4. Reinforce helpful, friendly, personalized service.
5. Provide and promote access to many ATMs.
6. Be competitive on loan and savings rates.
7. Develop a variety of loans and savings products.
The THINK Conference, sponsored by CO-OP Financial Services, concludes Thursday.