- Hispanic Resources
Judges for CUNA’s Desjardins Awards for Youth and Adult Financial Education recognize credit unions that best demonstrate financial literacy advocacy at their credit unions and in their communities.
The Maine Credit Union League won the league category. Credit unions delivered financial education to record numbers of consumers through statewide events.
Award winners in the youth financial education category include:
- Clarence (N.Y.) Community & Schools Federal Credit Union, offered "Youth $avings" programs in local schools, providing students the opportunity to save money in a credit union account and bring their deposits to school.
- CommunityAmerica Credit Union, Kansas City, Mo., used Cash 'n’ Coins Club savings accounts for youth ages 13 and younger, allowing them to save money and watch their balances grow.
- CORE Federal Credit Union, East Syracuse, N.Y., offered an extensive student financial literacy program that includes hands-on skills, training, direct instruction, and student coaching and peer mentoring.
- Generations Federal Credit Union, San Antonio, reached out to youth via a program that speaks directly to students about financial education.
- Northwest Chapter of the Ohio Credit Union League delivered financial education to high school students in a fun and interactive way, while also providing valuable life skills.
In the adult financial education category, judges selected:
- Beach Municipal Federal Credit Union, Virginia Beach, Va., assisted the unbanked and underbanked citizens of the community gain access to traditional financial products and services.
- Credit Union 1, Anchorage, Alaska, acted as a financial education resource to the community by offering classes to the public, organizations, groups, and clubs.
- Town & Country Credit Union, Minot, N.D., provided financial seminars and support for community members recovering from a devastating flood in 2011.
- United Labor Credit Union, Kansas City, Mo., taught union members personal finance and related topics in a classroom setting.