The Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility/Louise Herring Philosophy in Action Awards winners have long histories of socially responsible activities to make their communities better and to improve members’ financial health.
The 2010 Dora Maxwell first-place winners continued this tradition by:
- Sponsoring a "bowl for kids" event benefiting the Children's Miracle Network.
- Engaging low-income, urban youth in a savings and financial education program, PLAY Prize-linked Accounts;
- Fund raising for the Fallen Heroes Fund;
- Paying to produce an "employee stimulus book" offering merchant discounts to school employees affected by state budget cuts, layoffs, and salary reductions;
- Raising funds for educational programs that aid children with asthma;
- Offering an EZ Saver Account, which includes deposits of debit transactions (rounded up to the next whole dollar amount), facilitating member contributions to cancer research;
- Providing financial education to youth and adults throughout the community; and
- Raising money to fund an inpatient wing for the Dell Children's Medical Center of Central Texas.
The Louise Herring Philosophy in Action Program first-place winners expanded their financial education outreach and services by:
- Creating a loan program through which state employees--whose salaries were threatened during a state budget crisis--qualified for a $500 loan at 0% interest each week until the budget was settled;
- Providing financial literacy support for members of the military, a critical component to obtain security clearance; and
- Creating an innovative mortgage assistance program designed to keep members in their homes despite the area’s rising delinquency and foreclosure rates.
All the national award winners, on display in the Welcome Center, will be honored at a reception during the GAC.