Management

The Problem With Gen Y

They clearly march to the beat of a different drummer.

July 30, 2010
KEYWORDS tweeting , yers
/ PRINT / ShareShare / Text Size +
James Collins
James Collins is Credit Union Magazine's humor columnist. This article is a tongue-in-cheek look at generational differences in the workplace.

What’s the biggest work force issue today?

The inevitable response from folks over 40: “Those @#%^ gen Yers!” (That’s just before asking one of them for help with the latest software upgrade.)

While technologically savvy, the stereotypical gen Y employee is emotionally devoid to the point of being a turnip in jeans. They are emotionally needy, consistently moody, and much to the chagrin of those who brought these little gemstones into the world, utterly dependent on their parents.

So where do these gen Yers go wrong? Well, they:

•  Feel entitled. Gen Yers have a misguided notion that, just because they think they have better technical skills than the boomers they work for, they might be on equal or even superior footing. They don’t understand it’s not how much you know or how well you work—or even how well you motivate people—but rather how long you’ve been in your job that counts.

•  Are technologically searching. Not satisfied with the status quo, gen Y folk constantly look for new and more interesting ways to communicate, which all seemingly end in “ing” (blogging, tweeting, complaining). When they want a place to post their thoughts, why can’t they be satisfied with the company cork board like the rest of us?

•  Just aren’t that into work. Gen Yers recognize a unique work/life balance…namely less of the first and more of the second. We all know that spending 60 hours at work and checking in on weekends so often that your three-year-old princess soon regards the pizza-delivery guy as “daddy” is the way it should be!

•  Chat up the boss. They don’t understand that an “open-door policy” is just that—a “policy” with as much relevance to real life as Regulation D. Being both misguided and naïve, they have the audacity to come by and talk about issues, problems, and concerns. Hint: This is why the door closes.

•  Are fashion-tolerant. In their twisted view of the world, what they wear shouldn’t matter, no matter how many piercings and tattoos they have. Again, they believe their contribution to an organization is more than “skin deep.”

•  Disrespect time. Trying to get a gen Yer to a meeting on time is an exercise in futility. After all, aren’t all the baby boomers always prompt? Of course, what can you expect from someone who doesn’t even own a watch?

•  Need a “team” to accomplish anything. As their older co-workers know, evidence has shown (at least in every Rambo movie) that the lone individual, acting within the confines of his or her own experience, always makes the best decisions.

•  Are naturally skeptical. If I truly wanted continual skepticism, I’d ask for my wife’s opinion. Trust us old folks. We’ve looked at everything, completely. You gen Yers just need to settle down, be quiet, and quit thinking! For example, look at the real-estate mar…well…never mind.

And finally, the biggest issue is that gen Yers:

•  Believe they can do anything.What is this? Sesame Street? Sure, it’s good to be confident, but can they fly? I mean, without mood-enhancing pharmaceuticals or plane tickets? Gen Yers need good, stable limits—the same kind you place on yourself.

In case you think I may offend gen Yers with this column, remember: They’re too busy watching MTV, tweeting, blogging, and texting (all at the same time).

JAMES COLLINS is chief financial officer at O Bee CU, Tumwater, Wash. Contact him at 360-943-0740 or at jcollins@obee.com.

Great Article

Matthew
July 27, 2010 5:00 pm
I applaud this article.

Interesting...

Bill Clancy
July 30, 2010 4:53 pm
There's a few nuggets in this article that raised my eyebrows but more than anything else this quote scares the bejeebers out of me... "They don’t understand it’s not how much you know or how well you work—or even how well you motivate people—but rather how long you’ve been in your job that counts" So 'time on job' trumps results? Double yikes.

Devin
July 30, 2010 5:40 pm
Is your opinion of Gen Yers based on those that you have employed at your Credit Union? If they are, perhaps you need to talk to your HR department about their hiring practices because clearly, you got the crappy Gen Yers.

Before I Comment

Brent Dixon
July 30, 2010 6:03 pm
I have to know where this article falls on a Tongue-In-Cheek Scale of 1 - 10. Can you help me out there?

Before I Comment

Brent Dixon
July 30, 2010 6:07 pm
....Or "Harumph!" to "LOLZ!" if that scale works better.

You're kidding, right?

Tim
July 30, 2010 7:24 pm
Right? Although this article was funny, in a David Letterman style, it is just a joke, right?

Hilarious!

Nick H
August 01, 2010 5:27 pm
Everytime stodgy old bankers try to interpret "Gen-Y", it makes me laugh. This is easily some of the driest satire I've read
in a long time. Unintentionally hilarious, and at the same time patronizing and slightly-offensive, I can't wait to see an
equal-opportunity followup.

Definitely tongue-in-cheek

CU Mag
August 01, 2010 6:31 pm
Brent, this is very much tongue in cheek.

My apologies

Devin
August 01, 2010 8:36 pm
My apologies as I missed the satire. Having said that, this type of attitude is out there, even to the point of saying that the Internet is not needed in the workplace. Pretty sad.

Good point

CU Mag
August 02, 2010 1:14 am
Good point, Devin.

Flag Comment as Offensive

Humor is always in the eye...

James Collins
August 02, 2010 12:42 pm
I know that, as a humor writer, sometimes things "miss the mark". That said, my piece hear was definitely a tongue-in-cheek satire of the Gen Y/Baby Boomer battles of today. Most of what I know about Gen Y's is via raising three of them. From their standpoint, the internet is equivalent to our old wooded sandlot we used to play in as kids. As we knew every trail and fort, they know websites, blogs and viral videos. And now that they are entering the workforce, we are presented with a technically efficient, but very different workforce. So if my humor was amiss, I must apologize. But hopefully my point that this generation isn't an extension of the baby boomers - I hope that it did hit. Regards, and please keep commenting, James Collins

O'Bee gets it

Jeffry Pilcher | TheFinancialBrand.com
August 02, 2010 1:19 pm
I'm going to stand up for the team at O'Bee. I've been keeping my eye on them for a few years now, and they seem like they are on top of their game. They're a savvy group, smart marketers. Having read a couple of things James Collins has written now, I'd say he gets it. Give him some credit: He sure stirred the pot with this post ;)

Gen Y has much to offer

Mike Myatt
November 17, 2010 3:50 pm
Hi James:

I enjoyed your post, but in my own experience have found Gen Y offers tremendous upside to leaders and organizations who understand how to assimilate them, communicate with them, and motivate them. I go into greater detail in this video: http://www.leadershipandinfluencesummit.com/summit/speaker/mike_myatt